1st Barking can be traced back to between 1910/1912,
meeting near St. Margaret’s Church Barking. They had a strong following with
around 80 boys. Having their own drum & bugle band, lots of gymnastic and
camping equipment, the Group became the premier group in the District.
With many changes over the years including meeting places and leaders, 1st Barking & Dagenham Scout Group was registered in March 1992. Now located in
the Rivergate Church in Barking Riverside, we are a busy group with 3 sections and around 50 young people. These young people are supported by a dedicated team of adult volunteers as well as our Executive Committee and many parents.
With the merger of Barking & Dagenham and Newham Districts in 2022, we were given the option to change our name to reflect the area we are in, and so decided to change back to 1st Barking, not only reflect on the area, but also to acknowledge some of our heritage.